[ COVER OF THE WEEK ]
[ AnalyticsWeek BYTES]
[ FEATURED COURSE]
[ FEATURED READ]
A black swan is an event, positive or negative, that is deemed improbable yet causes massive consequences. In this groundbreaking and prophetic book, Taleb shows in a playful way that Black Swan events explain almost eve… more
[ TIPS & TRICKS OF THE WEEK]
Save yourself from zombie apocalypse from unscalable models
One living and breathing zombie in today’s analytical models is the pulsating absence of error bars. Not every model is scalable or holds ground with increasing data. Error bars that is tagged to almost every models should be duly calibrated. As business models rake in more data the error bars keep it sensible and in check. If error bars are not accounted for, we will make our models susceptible to failure leading us to halloween that we never wants to see.
[ DATA SCIENCE Q&A]
Q:How do you assess the statistical significance of an insight?
A: * is this insight just observed by chance or is it a real insight?
Statistical significance can be accessed using hypothesis testing:
– Stating a null hypothesis which is usually the opposite of what we wish to test (classifiers A and B perform equivalently, Treatment A is equal of treatment B)
– Then, we choose a suitable statistical test and statistics used to reject the null hypothesis
– Also, we choose a critical region for the statistics to lie in that is extreme enough for the null hypothesis to be rejected (p-value)
– We calculate the observed test statistics from the data and check whether it lies in the critical region
– One sample Z test
– Two-sample Z test
– One sample t-test
– paired t-test
– Two sample pooled equal variances t-test
– Two sample unpooled unequal variances t-test and unequal sample sizes (Welchs t-test)
– Chi-squared test for variances
– Chi-squared test for goodness of fit
– Anova (for instance: are the two regression models equals? F-test)
– Regression F-test (i.e: is at least one of the predictor useful in predicting the response?)
[ VIDEO OF THE WEEK]
Subscribe to Youtube
[ QUOTE OF THE WEEK]
I’m sure, the highest capacity of storage device, will not enough to record all our stories; because, everytime with you is very valuable da
[ PODCAST OF THE WEEK]
[ FACT OF THE WEEK]
More than 5 billion people are calling, texting, tweeting and browsing on mobile phones worldwide.