Nuf spoke about BigData and enterprise journey that takes them there. One care area where the buck stops is âwho owns the data?â or âno one guy owns the dataâ, making accessibility of data a nightmare scenario. Companies spend lot of time and energy to get around this shortcoming and not many move on with planning this the right way. If you had spend more than a month in analytics, you could get chills when it comes to bringing data sets from other department or silo. Have you ever wondered why is this a problem and when almost everyone is suffering still, nothing is yet done? Letâs start scratching our head and start thinking about giving your business a centralized data office that takes care of the enterprise data. Itâs a dream to make data availability not an IT nightmare nor an interdepartmental mind wrestle, but a smooth process. There are numerous ways to get you aligned to this journey. Following are few of several examples.
1. Reduce time to data: Yes, this should be a no surprise, when it is all managed at one place, there are bound to be centralized processes and resource allocation making it more structured and fast. You donât have to invent laws of reciprocity to get that magical data that will help you do you job better. You will gain access to your data sets faster. On the other side, you will now know the process of sharing data and hence will share them without again getting into random processes and timings. Both sides will get a methodical and accounted system that has set expectations. This will also unhitch IT and other departments from dealing with lot of people requesting random data at random times and provide a central funnel for all dispensing.
2. Give every data an owner & thereby reduce bad data: How many times have you heard that âitâs not my dataâ or âI donât own itâ or âI just requested IT for it, and I donât know much about it?â this is another big problem plaguing big enterprises. Lack of ownership comes with a price. More often than not, of adding loads of overheads and restricting the capability. Have a centralized data office reduces such problems by giving ownership to someone besides IT whose primary job is not to understand data in the first place. Having done that it became fluid easy to get to the owners and understand more about data and qualify it better for faster and effective analytics.
3. More transparency and thereby less traps & greasy edges: Having a centralized data office puts more light into data, itâs relevance and how each data is contributing to bigger enterprise dream. Having a central office give a bigger lens to data strategy teams to understand how data is shaping their existence. It makes things more transparent and thereby showing pitfalls and greasy spots clearly. This will help in better, clearer and fail safe strategies, as they will not be based on more qualified data. This will ultimately helps companies steer their data focus effectively.
4. Accelerate the journey to Data Driven Enterprise: Wow.. Really, yes really. Data Driven Enterprise is an elite status assuring your sustainable existence. It certainly does not come cheap or easy but requires a meticulous and consistent stride to data based decision-making. Having a centralized data office will surely make it all a reality. Data is the toughest part in any data driven strategy. Getting data has consistently been a struggle and not having a standardized process had made it anything but better. So, a centralized body will embrace better and consistent data quality standard making more and more data usable. Which ultimately plays a crucial role in creating a data driven organization.
5. Makes overall data analytics strategy a reality and not a hidden dream: A hidden message behind making a centralized data office is not just to make data more manageable but to empower current analytics capabilities to utilize more of data in their analysis. Overall company level analytics had been the function of people and teams that are directly working on it. We humans tends to induce some error over the period of time, so what makes us think that our designed analytics will be a true representation of the company. Having a centralized data approach will help in this regards by providing more holistic view on overall analytics strategy. The capability has suddenly increased to leverage all the data elements in defining overall analytics strategy.
So, this should be a no surprise that central data office is start of a long data driven journey as well as sustained & profitable vision of using data for effective decision-making. This will not only make data easily accessible but also encourage people to use more data and less gut in their decision-making processes.